Remark Web Survey® 5 - Professional version
Professional version 5 is the newest release of Remark's Web Survey® web-based form software. It works seamlessly with anyone who has purchased DATA BLOCKS' Magenta Suite or Concord Suite form design software (which includes Remark Classic OMR® or Remark Office OMR® software, respectively) for creating an online OMR or plain paper form.
With the click of a mouse, simply take the scan template generated from either Magenta Suite or Concord Suite and convert it into a web-based survey form—using Remark Web Survey® software.
- Intuitive interface allows for easy creation of web-based forms without having to know any HTML or web programming.
- Converts Remark Office OMR and Remark Classic OMR template files into HTML forms with the click of a mouse, allowing you to collect data seamlessly from paper and the web.
- Allows for single or multiple response questions (option buttons, checkboxes, and drop down lists) as well as textboxes.
- Supports using graphics as answer items (i.e. charts, graphs, shapes, pictures, etc…).
- Allows you to specify an input pattern for a textbox question (phone number, date, etc…).
- Allows you to format the form the way you want it to look, including using rich text formatting. Insert text, graphics and lines where desired. Change colors and fonts to match the design of your website. Apply styles to an entire web form quickly and easily
- Allows you to add multiple columns to a form, format questions in tables, include hidden questions and specify which questions are required
- Supports multimedia (.swf, .avi, .mpg, .wmv, .wav, .asf, .mp3, .mov, .ram, .rm).
- Allows you to create hyperlinks on a form to direct respondents to another question on the form, a pop-up info page, an external web page or send an email message.
- Supports the use of skip patterns, or question branching, based on how questions are answered.
- Supports the use of answer piping, allowing you to "pipe" the answer from previous questions into a future question or label.
- Contains a spell checker.
- Allows you to create customized success, or "thank you" pages for respondents to see upon successful web form submission.
- Creates multi-page web forms.
- Allows respondents to pause the web form any point and return later for completion.
- Provides a confirmation page for respondents to view their responses.
- Allows you to create customized error messages for your respondents.
- Allows you to apply passwords to forms, and includes the ability to import a list of valid passwords.
- Contains automatic form publishing feature for streamlined access to web server to publish web forms.
- Provides a list of respondents who have and have not completed password-protected forms.
- Contains an email center where you can send invitations to your web form or email reminders to those who have not yet completed the web form.
Survey reports include:
- Tabulates surveys and grades tests with Remark Quick Stats®.
- Includes a Grade Wizard that supports multiple answer keys, multiple grade scales, benchmarking and learning objectives.
- Automatically filters report data based on questions from the web form (i.e. for course evaluations, run reports on specific instructors and classes automatically).
- Automatically downloads data into the software for export or analysis.
- Records the time it takes respondents to complete your web form and stores this in a duration field in your data set.
- Supports query parameters that allow to pass a value into your form behind the scenes (i.e. for course evaluations you can insert an instructor's name into the invitation URL that will pass the name into your data for that respondent).
- Downloads incomplete web form submissions.
- Supports filtering incomplete data submissions based on a completion percentage in order to only analyze records that are X% completed.
- Allows IP tracking; when tracking is turned off, the responses are truly anonymous.
- Offers a live look at the current responses using Remark Live Stats™.
- Remark Live Stats™ now offers Item Analysis, Comment Report, and Duration Report.
- Remark Quick Stats® provides a detailed analysis of surveys and a complete grade report for tests, as follows:
Test reports include:
- Detailed Item Analysis Report
- Item Analysis Graph Report
- Condensed Item Analysis
- Analysis Group Report
- Item Statistics Report
- Crosstabulation Report
- Comparative Item Report
- Response Report by Item
- Response Report by Respondent
- Student Statistics Report
- Comparative Grade Report
- Class Frequency Distribution Report
- Test Statistics Report
- Detailed Item Analysis Report
- Item Analysis Graph Report
- Condensed Item Analysis Report
- Test Item Statistics Report
- Crosstabulation Report
- Student Grade Report
- Response Report by Item
- Response Report by Respondent
- Saves data to over 30 different file formats, including SPSS, dBase, Access, Excel, Lotus, Paradox and more
Remark Web Survey® 5 has many new features. The following list provides an overview of what is new in this version.
- Emails complete form submissions to any email address.
- Supports embedding passwords into email invitation urls.
- Allows you to personalize emails through adding merge fields, such as respondent name.
- Allows you to create and save email templates for invitations.
- Supports importing email address lists from a variety of databases and spreadsheets.
- Allows for page and answer choice randomization.
- Allows you to schedule your web form with a live start time and/or end time.
- Allows you to cap the number of respondents that can submit your web form.
- Allows for session timeouts with password-protected web forms for added security.
- Sends response submissions based on answers to specific questions.
- Emails responses to respondents.
- Supports Linux/UNIX or Windows based web servers running Perl 5.6.2 or later.
- Configurable control panel permission levels for users. There are three levels: Administrator (full control), Standard (access to Remark Live Stats and data) and Restricted (access to Remark Live Stats and data for particular web forms).
- Supports data archiving (when you publish a form that already has data, a back-up copy of the data will be saved on your server).
- Includes a diagnostic section in the control panel to assist with troubleshooting.
- Affordable price (see DATA BLOCKS' pricing for Remark Web Survey Professional version 5).
A breakdown of Standard vs. Professional features is also available
- Download incomplete submissions.
You may download responses even if the respondent did not complete the web form (e.g., partial responses).
- Completion percentage tolerance.
You can filter data based on a completion percentage in order to only analyze records that are X% completed.
- Multimedia support.
You can embed multimedia in a web form in the following formats: avi, .mpg, .mpeg, .wmv, .wav, .asf, .mp3 (WindowsMedia), .mov (QuickTime), .ram, .rm (RealMedia), .swf (ShockwaveFlash).
- Query parameters.
You can specify a hidden textbox question as a Query Parameter so that when you send invitations to take a survey, you can insert a value that will be passed down to the data behind the scenes. For example, if sending out a course evaluation, you can use Query Parameters to insert the instructor's name into the email invitation URL. When the web form is submitted, the instructor's name will be included in the data set.
- Send response submissions based on responses.
You can specify web form submission email recipients based on how questions are answered. For example, if on a survey about customer service a respondent answers a question that s/he was dissatisfied, the customer service manager could receive an email with that respondent's form submission.
- Email responses to respondents.
When responding to a web form, respondents can enter an email address and have their responses sent to them.
- Graphics as answer items.
You can now use a graphic (JPG or GIF) as an answer choice in the HTML Display portion of the answers (the part the respondent sees).
- Input patterns.
You can specify an input pattern for a textbox question. For example, if collecting US phone numbers, you could specify a pattern of XXX-XXX-XXXX. When the page is submitted, the pattern entered will be validated against the pattern defined for the question. Appropriate error messages can be customized.
- Data archive.
When publishing a web form that already exists on the server, if you choose to overwrite the existing data file, a backup copy will be created on the web server (you can control whether you want this backup created in the Remark Web Survey control panel.)
- Mobile device preview.
An option to preview the web form on various mobile devices has been added, allowing you to better cater to the handheld device user.
- Duration field.
A duration field has been added to the web form data grid so that you can see how long a respondent took to complete a web form. It calculates the time when the respondent first accesses the web form to the time when the web form is submitted (paused time is included if applicable). In addition, a report was added to Remark Live Stats™ to view the duration.
- IP tracking.
You can choose whether to track IP addresses of web form recipients in the log file. When tracking is turned off, the responses are truly anonymous.
- New web form window.
A new web form window was added to specify details about the web form (number of pages, which special pages to add, etc.) so that the entire web form framework is created at the beginning of web form creation.
- Remark Live Stats™.
The online reporting tool, Remark Live Stats, now includes three reports: Item Analysis, Response Report for open ended (textbox) questions and Duration Report detailing form submission durations.
- Configurable Control Panel permission levels for users.
Three user permission levels are available:
Remark Web Survey® 5 has many updated features. The following list provides an overview of what has been updated in this version.
- Administrator — Full permissions within the Designer component and web server control panel.
- Standard User — Can view the data and live statistics for all forms in the web server control panel, can be given rights to upload forms and download data for all forms.
- Restricted User — Can view the data and live statistics for just specified web forms in the web server control panel, can be given rights to upload forms and to download data for specified web forms only.
- Email updates. Several updates were made to the email functionality:
- Embed passwords in email. You can embed the respondents' passwords into the web survey invitation URL when using the Remark Web Survey Email Center. Or, you can insert the password, along with the respondents' name, into the body of the email (valid if the name is entered in the Password List Builder).
- Email templates. You can create and save email templates to customize outgoing emails quickly and easily.
- Email import. You can import email addresses that are stored in a variety of database file formats, making it easier to pull in email addresses in order to send invitations.
- Canceling emails. You can cancel an email job once it has begun.
- Email server updates.
Several enhancements have been made to the server settings, including:
- Support to specify a local web server has been added. The Local Machine settings are used to setup email transfers that originate from the Remark Web Survey software, such as email invitations and reminders.
- The ability to use custom user credentials when sending emails through the local server.
- Local emails are sent on a separate thread, allowing them to be sent in the background while you continue using your computer.
- A throttle rate was added to determine how long to pause before sending the next email in the queue, putting less strain on the email server and reducing the likelihood of your message being flagged as spam because too many emails are going out at one time.
- Password protection updates.
The following enhancements have been made to password protection:
- Stronger security has been added to the web server file containing encrypted passwords.
- You may automatically generate random passwords for respondents in the Password List Builder.
- Added a second question on the login page to allow respondents to enter a username along with their password.
- Answer piping updates.
The following enhancements have been made to answer piping (using a respondent's previous answer in a subsequent label, question, or answer):
- You may use the respondent's name, username and email as pipes throughout the password (if these items are present in the Password List Builder).
- You can add piping to the HTML Display portion of answer choices (the part the respondent sees when filling out the web form).
- You can update existing pipes when designing forms by clicking anywhere within the pipe.
- When creating answer pipes during web form design, the question text will appear in the pipe structure, making it easier to read for the web form designer.
- Question branching updates.
The question branching feature (skipping questions based on previous questions' answers) has been updated to include the following:
- The "CONTAINS", "BEGINS WITH", and "ENDS WITH" conditions have been added when creating question branches.
- The page number for each question is visible in the list of questions when creating question branches, making it easier to select questions.
- A branching validator has been added that will check the form for branching problems, such as branches to deleted pages, circular branching, etc.
- A branch visualizer has been added to show branch patterns in a more user-friendly interface, allowing you to quickly see where each branch leads.
- Control Panel overhaul
The Control Panel, or online administrive component, has been completely recreated with a more user-friendly appearance. It also includes a Diagnostics section to help you troubleshoot server side problems.
- General formatting updates.
The following updates have been made to make formatting more flexible:
- Images used as buttons can be resized and their color can be adjusted.
- You may place vertical lines between section columns.
- Textbox questions' answers utilize the style properties such as backcolor, font color, etc. setup in the textbox attributes.
- You can set a transparent color for rich text.
- Answers to questions can have line breaks within them to put the answer text on more than one line. This feature is great for anchoring answer scales.
- Answers and questions can behave as hyperlinks. When setting up a hyperlink in a label you can specify whether to open the page in the same window or a new window.
- Question tables have been updated to include the following: Entire tables can be left, center or right aligned. Table border width and color can be adjusted. Columns of questions in tables with more than one set of answers can have separate background colors (side-by-side tables).
- Table layouts can be reversed, with answer groups down the side and questions across the top.
- Drop-down lists.
Drop-down lists have been updated to allow them to be required so that pages cannot be submitted unless an answer is chosen.
- Data saving options.
The following updates have been made to data saving:
- The ability to open and save data to the Access and Excel 2007 formats has been added.
- Remark Web Survey can save data directly to the SQL or Oracle formats without having to go through an ODBC connection.
- You can save multiple data grids to a single data file.
- Remark Quick Starts® updates.
The following enhancements have been made to Remark Quick Stats (same features as in Remark Office OMR 7):
- The ability to print, export, and generate multiple reports has been added to Remark Quick Stats in the form of a Report Batch Wizard. Reports can be exported to a single combined file or individually to separate files. Report batches can be saved and reloaded.
- The ability to auto-filter reports has been integrated into the new Report Batch Wizard in Remark Quick Stats. You can select up to three separate fields by which to break down data into separate reports. For each unique set of records, a new report is generated automatically. For example, if you process course evaluations, Remark Quick Stats can automatically separate each instructor's results into individual reports.
- Learning objectives/Analysis group names can be imported from a database or spreadsheet format into the Grade Wizard/Survey Wizard.
- On the Crosstab Report, the correct answer is marked with an asterisk when grading.
- On the Item Statistics Report, you may sort the statistics by question difficulty.
- On the Condensed and Detailed Item Analysis Reports, you may sort the results based on frequency.
- Support for extra credit questions has been added through the Grade Wizard. Extra credit questions do not count toward the total points possible for the test, so any points scored on extra credit questions are in fact "extra" and make it possible to score over 100% on a test.
- Report headers are now much more flexible and can be tied to individual tests or surveys. You can now define report headers within the Grade or Survey Wizard, allowing you to create and reuse specific report headers that will always be used with that particular test or survey.
- Database lookup automatic reconnection.
You can now reconnect a web form to a database if the database is moved or renamed after setting up database linking, eliminating the need to setup the entire connection again.
- Missing values.
You can set a missing value designator at the question level.
- Respondent detection.
You can utilize more than one data grid when running a Respondent Detection operation to determine who has filled out your form.
- Popup Info Pages.
You can place Popup Info pages on Web Form Complete pages in order to provide additional information or redirect respondents.
- Image enhancements.
Tile, Center, Left and Right attributes are now supported for images. You may also control the color used for an image border.
- "Other" textboxes can be required.
When appending an "other" textbox to a question, you can have the "other" textbox be required when the answer choice for "other" is selected.
- Integration with other Remark products.
The integration with Remark Office OMR and Remark Classic OMR has been improved:
- When converting paper forms with multiple-choice questions in a single OMR region/field, they will be converted into a table in Remark Web Survey.
- When using Database Linking, including the original lookup field is now optional, just as in Remark Office OMR.
- More seamless integration when opening data files generated from one Remark product into a different Remark product.
|Remark Web Survey Technical Specifications | Remark Web Survey Overview|
download demo for free trial | request information